This is the most popular salad in Poland and the truth is that it has many names. Its Polish name is salatka jarzynowa, but it's also called potato salad, vegetable salad, and trash salad (don't ask me why... I have no idea).
Since summer is here and salads are very popular in general, we here at mrssoupe.com decided to start making more salads rich in vegetables and fruits and full of flavor.
This Polish salad that has been eaten in Poland for soooo many years is full of simple vegetables that you can easily find. More specifically, it contains potatoes, peas, carrots, onion and apple.
As for the sauce... according to the traditional recipe you will only need mayonnaise to make it. To make it lighter, I replaced half of the mayonnaise with yogurt. You can completely replace the mayonnaise with yogurt if you prefer.
Tips and Substitutions
If you are vegan you can skip the eggs and replace the mayonnaise with vegan mayonnaise and the yogurt with soy yogurt.
If you like this recipe, you can also try one of the following:
The Most Famous Polish Salad
- 3 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 200 gr. peas
- 1 onion
- 1 apple
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp light mayo
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- Start by cleaning your vegetables. Cut potatoes and carrots into small pieces and boil them in salted water for 20-25 minutes until soft.
- Halfway through, throw in the peas. Drain your vegetables and let them cool slightly.
- Chop the onion and dice the apple. Cut the potatoes and carrots into cubes as well as the eggs after boiling them.
- Put everything in a bowl. Add the mayonnaise and yogurt and salt and mix well. Put your salad in the fridge until you can enjoy it.
- It is perfectly eaten the next day as well.
Did you make the recipe too?
Upload a photo on Instagram and tag me (@emilyvagia) so I can see it too or send me a photo on Facebook. here.