It may have become a trend on tiktok but pastina soup has been made in Italy for many years.
This particular recipe is not traditional but I like it very much because it also has quite a few hidden vegetables in it. If you love melon soups like I do, then you will definitely love this wonderful winter soup that is also very good for viruses.
The vegetables you will need to make it are: carrot, onion, garlic and celery.
Apart from these, peponaki or any other small pasta (pastina means "small pasta" in Italian) are a basic ingredient of the recipe.
In Italy they serve the soup with plenty of parmesan. In my version, which is vegetarian and vegan, I have not used parmesan at all.
Tip: You can boil the pastina in the broth. and not separately but your soup will thicken a lot. If that doesn't bother you, then you can do it this way too.
Νote: This particular recipe is not traditional. It's been tweaked but it's one of my favorites. The recipe is from food blogger Sneji from themodernnonna.com.
If you like this recipe with hidden vegetables you can also try some of the following:
Orange Pasta Sauce with 4 Hidden Veggies
White Sauce with 5 Hidden Veggies and Legumes | For Pasta
Pasta with Hidden Veggie Sauce
- 2 cup pastina
- 2 litres vegetable broth
- 1 onion cut in half
- 2 celery cut in pieces
- 3 carrots cut in pieces
- 4 garlic cloves
- black pepper
- Start by pouring the vegetable stock along with some salt into a pot. As soon as it starts to boil, throw in all the vegetables.
- Boil for about 35-45 minutes or until tender.
- Toss all the vegetables together with 2 tbsp. vegetable broth in the blender. Beat well and transfer back to the pot.
- In the meantime, boil the melon in salted water according to the instructions on the package.
- Place pastina on each plate and top with soup. Stir and enjoy.
Did you try this recipe too?
Upload a photo on Instagram and tag me (@emilyvagia) so I can see it too or send me a photo on Facebook ..