This year I decided not to make gingerbread cookies in the shape of a little man, a tree and a star. I decided to make button shaped gingerbread cookies that are also perfect for the Christmas table.
Tips and Substitutions
If you are not vegan or not fasting you can replace vegetable butter with regular butter. You can also put the same amount of honey in your recipe instead of maple syrup.
The brown sugar substitute has 0 calories and you will find it at lifetree.gr.
Gingerbread Cookies Without Sugar
- 180 gr. (1 1/2 cup) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 110 gr. (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp vegetable butter
- 100 gr. (1/2 cup) brown sugar substitute
- Start by mixing the sugar substitute with the vegetable butter. Once a soft and fluffy mixture is created, add all the remaining ingredients. Mix with a spoon first and then with your hands.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Roll out with a rolling pin and form round cookies. If you want them to look like buttons like mine just make two holes.
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Bake for 7-9 minutes.
- If your holes are closed, simply open them again with the same tool that you opened them the first time. Let them cool well before removing them from the pan as they are very soft at first.
Did you try this recipe too?
Upload a photo on Instagram and tag me (@emilyvagia) so I can see it too or send me a photo on Facebook here.