It is one of the recipes that is loved abroad and is made as a side dish for the main course. The crunchiest smashed potatoes I made for the first time in September 2020 have now gone viral, so I decided to make them again.
*The recipe was first made in September 2020. The recipe and photos were updated in December 2022.
Difficulty level: Easy!
The recipe for the most crispy baked potatoes is very easy
It presents no difficulty even for the most inexperienced in the subject of "kitchen" and cooking. The ingredients you'll need to make them are already in your kitchen as we speak, which means you can make them today.
What will make potatoes super crispy?
Their cooking. To make the perfect baked potatoes that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, you should start by boiling them. Boil your potatoes in water until very soft. You want a knife to go through them with great ease. Then spread them on a tray and press them with the bottom of a glass, after scoring them, until they "break". Pour over olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes. See the full recipe below.
Pair your potatoes with homemade ketchup or homemade bbq sauce.
What potatoes to choose?
Baby potatoes are perfect for this recipe. For me the best would be to wash them very well and cook them together with the skin which will make the result even more crispy.
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- 6 medium potatoes ((ή 12-15 baby potatoes))
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- smoked paprika
- Put your potatoes with the skin on in a large pot and fill with water. Add salt and boil until your potatoes are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 200C.
- As soon as your potatoes are boiled, spread them on a piece of non-stick paper and with the bottom of a glass press them to break after scoring them first with a knife.
- Pour olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme on top and bake in the oven at 200C for 20-30 minutes or until your potatoes are crispy on the outside.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Did you try this recipe too?
Upload a photo on Instagram and tag me (@emilyvagia) so I can see it too or send me a photo on Facebook ..