A wonderful white sauce with 5 hidden vegetables and legumes that will delight young and old while being very very nutritious.
If you don't eat beans, leeks or cauliflower then this recipe is for you. There is a way to eat even vegetables and legumes you don't like by "hiding" them in delicious pasta sauces.
What vegetables does the sauce contain? Cauliflower, leek, onion and garlic. And the one legume it contains is beans. All in white shades to make our sauce white.
Tips and Substitutions
Only the white part of the leek is used.
Cut all the vegetables into the same size pieces so that they cook evenly and at the same time.
Instead of vegan feta you can use nutritional yeast. If you are not vegan use classic feta or grated parmesan.
The beans must be cooked before you put them in the blender.
Instead of almond milk you can use soy milk. If you are not vegan use milk of your choice.
If you like this recipe you can also try one of the following:
White Sauce with Veggies and Legumes
- 500 gr. pasta of your choice
- 1 1 small cauliflower
- 1 leek (the white part)
- 1 onion cut in 4
- 1 garilic
- 2-3 cup almond milk
- 80 gr. vegan feta cheese
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup boiled beans
- spice mix
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- Start by spreading the cauliflower, leek, onion and garlic on a baking sheet. Add the olive oil, salt and spices and bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes.
- In the meantime, boil your pasta according to the instructions on the package in salted water. Keep some of the boiling water after your pasta is cooked.
- Put all the vegetables, beans, lemon juice, milk, feta and sunflower seeds in a blender. Beat well. If necessary, add water from your boiled pasta.
- Pour the sauce into the pot that your pasta boiled in after draining it. Add in the pasta and serve.
- Of course you can make the pasta for two people and save the leftover sauce in the freezer for next time.
Did you try this recipe too?
Upload a photo on Instagram and tag me (@emilyvagia) so I can see it too or send me a photo on Facebook ..