We are slowly approaching autumn but the zucchini and eggplants are still at their peak. Take advantage of the last ones and make this wonderful, healthy, delicious, cheesy, sandwich for the office!
The recipe is simple and you can prepare it in the evening. All you'll need to do is roast your eggplants and zucchini. Spread them in layers on a slice of bread. Top with vegan mozzarella and 2 tbsp. tomato sauce and bake in the toaster.
The healthiest, tastiest, most nutritious sandwich is ready to eat.
Tips and Substitutions
You can if you want to use only eggplant and no zucchini.
The sandwich is perfect in any kind of bread.
If you are not vegan you can use regular mozzarella instead of vegan. Of course you can replace the mozzarella with cheese of your choice.
If you like this recipe you can try some of the following:
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 eggplants
- 2 zucchini
- vegan μοτσαρέλα
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce
- black pepper
- olive oil
- Start by brushing the eggplant and zucchini slices with olive oil. Add salt and black pepper and spread on a piece of non-stick paper inside a baking tray.
- Bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes depending on how thin or thick the vegetable slices are.
- Meanwhile make the tomato sauce. Put canned tomatoes in a saucepan and add some salt and some black pepper. If necessary, add a little water and cook for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Spread a slice of eggplant, 2 slices of zucchini on a slice of bread. Do this 2-3 times. Add the mozzarella on top and the tomato sauce on top.
- Cover with the second slice of bread and bake in the toaster until the cheese practically melts.
Did you try this recipe too?
Upload a photo on Instagram and tag me (@emilyvagia) so I can see it too or send me a photo on Facebook here.