A detox salad with quinoa, red lentils and vinaigrette that you will want to make again and again.
One of the reasons that I love this recipe, apart from the fact that it is filling and very, very tasty, is the fact that it is also very quick.
Red lentils, in contrast to the classic ones that we are used to eat in Greece, boil much faster. What does this mean? That you can have your food ready, served, in less than 20 minutes at your table.
Tips and Substitutions
You can use the classic lentils instead of the red ones but you will need to cook them separately from the quinoa as they want more time to boil.
If you are not vegans you can use gruyere instead of some vegan yellow cheese.
How to cook quinoa
This is the most important thing in this salad.
First we start by throwing our quinoa and twice the amount of water in the pot.
Boil without covering the pot until the water is absorbed along with a little salt. Once this is done, cover the pot and put it aside. Set aside for 5 minutes, uncover and mix with a fork.
The cooking time of quinoa depends on both its quality and its quantity. If you boil a small amount it can be ready in 10 minutes. If you boil a large amount it can take up to 20 minutes.
If you like this detox recipe, here are some more:
Detox salad with quinoa and red lentils
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 cup shredded cabbage
- shredded raw broccoli
- fresh dill
- 1 cup parsley
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- black pepper
- 60 gr. shredded vegan cheese
- Start by pouring water into a saucepan. Put the lentils and quinoa in the water and add a little salt.
- Once they start to boil, leave for another 10 minutes. Try to see if they want more. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, grate the cabbage and broccoli in a bowl. Add the quinoa with the lentils, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Make the vinaigrette as well. Put the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, lemon and black pepper in a jar. Close the jar and beat the vinaigrette. Set aside until you need it.
- Take the salad out of the fridge, add the vinaigrette, mix and add the grated cheese. Serve.
Did you try this recipe too?
Upload a photo on Instagram and tag me (@emilyvagia) so I can see it too or send me a photo on Facebook here.