It may seem difficult to make your own Thessaloniki koulouria but we guarantee that it is not. Just make the effort and you will see that you will do it perfectly.
My greek koulouria are wholemeal with oats and contain the simplest and fewest ingredients.
Of course you can make bigger rings when you shape them to look more like the classic oven buns. We prefer them that way and that's why we make them smaller but thicker.
The basic ingredients are:
A lot of you ask me how to make oat flour. All you have to do is beat in the blender the classic oats that you have in your house until it becomes flour, that is, for a few seconds.
If you want other recipes for bread find them here:
We know it 's important to tell you how many calories each bun has. A wholemeal Thessaloniki bun with oats has 319 calories. What gives it the most calories is sesame. So if you want to save 119 calories you should not put sesame. Therefore a bun without sesame has only 200 calories.
Can we put them in the freezer?
Of course they can be frozen. Wrap them individually so that each time you get what you want for yourself and your children. Keep them there for several months.
- 250 ml. lukewarm water
- 7 gr. dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 60 ml. olive oil
- 300 gr. wholemeal flour
- 200 gr. oat flour
- one big bowl with warm water
- 250 gr. sesame
- Start by dissolving the yeast in lukewarm water. Leave it there for 10 minutes to activate.
- In a large bowl pour the olive oil, salt, lukewarm water with the yeast, wholemeal flour and oats. Mix well. Knead for about 5 minutes until you get a perfect dough.
- Put it in the bowl, cover it with a towel and put it in a warm place for 1-2 hours until it doubles in size. Alternatively you can put it in a warm room and cover it with a blanket.
- Preheat the oven to 180C in the air.
- Divide the dough into 12. We do this using a scale to make sure all the buns are baked evenly.
- Make 12 rings. Put a large bowl of hot water next to you as well as a shallow dish with sesame seeds inside. Lightly dip the bun in water and then in the sesame seeds to stick to it. Then put it on a piece of non-stick paper in the baking tray.
- Do the same with all the buns.
- Bake on medium grill for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before tasting.